We do not have to be imaginative of all the features that Flutter brings to the table as we already know that it accentuates the cross-platform app development. The developments in cross-platform app development have been progressive with Flutter being the pioneer mobile app development technology to steer the ship across the shore. It has persistently been the most admired framework among the hybrid and cross-platform community and has ranked among the most popular frameworks in 2020. If a technology paves way for frameworks, chances are that it will get adopted in some way or the other. Flutter has gained this favouritism in the past few years with constant developments, being stable and subsequently providing great results.
Exploring the Cost Factors Responsible for Flutter App Development
Despite being an open-source, cross-platform app development framework, Flutter can help in reducing the overall cost of app development without affecting the app performance. Flutter can reuse Kotlin, Java, Swift, Objective-C. It is optimized to create cross-platform apps (2D mobile apps that can run on both Android and iOS). The elements that determine the overall cost to develop a flutter app are as follows:
- App Complexity: The extent to which an app’s complexity can be a sum-up of – the development architecture model + admin panel development + third-party integration + device’s in-built features + integration with enterprise/legacy system.
- Types of Apps: (1) Flutter works wonders for interactive apps that can be run on your web pages or the desktop. (2) Flutter also suits well for the apps that need to deliver brand-first designs (3) Apps for stock exchange (4) Featured apps that include a camera, geolocation, microphone, network storage, 3rd party SDK’s can as well be developed by Flutter (5) Fitness app (6) Messenger App, (7) Social Media App like Instagram
- Examples of Flutter Based Apps: Flutter has supported some amazing apps like Google Ads (Utility), Alibaba (eCommerce), Reflectly (Lifestyle), Birch Finance (Finance), Hamilton Musical (Entertainment), Coach Yourself (Health and Fitness), Hookle (Social), Watermaniac (Health & Fitness), Cryptograph (Finance), SG Bus Tracker (Maps & Navigation)
- Strong Features: Additionally, Flutter comes with a bunch of strong features that distinguish it from other similar frameworks
- Flutter comes with a framework inspired by React
- Flutter comes with widgets like high-quality Material Design and Cupertino (iOS-style) widgets, layouts, and themes
- Flutter supports material theming like MDC-103 Flutter: Material Theming codelab
- Flutter can be used inside native apps
- Flutter can access platform services and API’s like sensors and local storage
- Flutter’s widget system can be customized
- Flutter supports calling into the platform, including integrating with Java or Kotlin code on Android, and Objective-C or Swift code on iOS
- Flutter allows internationalization (i18n), localization (l10n), and accessibility (a11y)
- JSON/XML/protobuffers can be used with Flutter
- More Features To Consider While Estimating The Cost Of Flutter App Development: User Interface, Data And Backend, Accessibility And Internationalization, Platform Integration, Packages And Plugins, Adding Flutter To An Existing App, Tools And Techniques, Migration, Making use of Debugging Tools, Debugging Apps Programmatically, Using an OEM Debugger, Flutter’s build modes, Handling Errors, Testing and Performance and optimization.
- Adding Complex Features: Flutter framework is small but is at par with other cross-platform development frameworks including packages, plugins like camera and webview, platform-agnostic features like characters, HTTP, animations, in-app payments, Apple authentication, navigation, chat and animations, Server Rent, Design (UI/UX), App Release, App Maintenance and Updates
What is the Average Cost to Develop a Flutter app?
The complexity of features, development team demographics, the demand in the market, the supported platforms available and in demand, the client’s preferences, and many more factors are responsible to come about with an estimated cost to develop an app.
- An app with medium to complex features will cost around $26,000 – $35,000
- An app with basic features will cost around $34,950 – $48,850
- A much bigger app for a social media platform might cost $41,500 – $55,000
Cost of Flutter app Development by Type:
Flutter App Development for Transport: $23,100 – $31,600 (It includes sign-up, sign-in (by social media accounts), push notifications, user profile, payment system, ride booking, ride payment + coupons, geo-location, driver side)
Flutter App Development for Streaming: $38,000 – $45,700 (It includes sign-up, sign-in (via social media accounts), personal profile, search system, streaming protocols, player integration, stream management (launch/shutdown/set bit rate), chat, donation system, payment gateway, channel management, push notifications)
Flutter App Development for Messenger Apps: $34,950 – $47,500 (It includes registration, sign in, chatting, sending media files, voice messages, group chats, voice calls, notifications, settings, search)
Can Flutter Reduce Your App Expenses a Bit?
What underlines the process is the Visual Studio Code as IDE and DART as a programming language. So the developers might need to learn this one in particular, but the code migration/inheritance, to/from Swift, Java, Kotlin or Objective-C is easy. Some third-party packages like Image_picker, HTTP for consuming HTTP requests and RxDart to make use of observables for data streams, some state management techniques like BLoC and official Flutter Documentation can all help Flutter Developers to be in their jobs and businesses in the business. Flutter does not require any visual layout builder or any additional language like XML to create the Flutter App Layout. DART helps to create widgets and form declarative layouts.
- Rendering Engine: Flutter uses its high-performance rendering engine to draw widgets.
- Powerful Digital Experience: Flutter cleanses the space for working across platforms, transforms the powerful digital experiences regardless of the operating system or the mobile device.
- Productivity Booster: It works closely with Google’s Material Design specifications and increases the productivity to ten-times.
- Availability Of Widgets: To give you a crisp experience and a native-like feel on iOS and android – almost everything like the Appbar, Drawer, Snackbar, Scaffold is managed by widgets.
- Availability Of Open-Source Packages: There is an extensive catalogue of open-source packages available for you to create Flutter based apps.
- Firebase Integration: Flutter seamlessly integrates with Firebase that comes along with a collection of services like cloud storage, cloud functions, real-time databases, hosting, authentication and much more.
- High Performance Rendering Engine: It makes use of its high-performance rendering engine to draw widgets. Flutter supports various IDE’s like Android Studio, VS Code etc.
- Different Themes for Different Platforms: Flutter also enables making use of different themes for different platforms, it integrates with code magic, 2D animations are easy.
- Flutter on Web and Desktop: Flutter on desktop and the web, plus, the supporting team and community.
The cost of developing a Flutter app differs according to the complexity of features, the location of developers, the rates of the app development company and the client’s specific requirements. Additionally, the rent of the server, the app release price, the app design and the support and maintenance cost must also be considered.
Key Takeaways: Flutter Promises The World To Cross-Platform App Development
If Flutter has it all that is required for smooth cross-platform app development, it surely leads the way with stability on the platter, saving development cost quite a bit with everything available within the framework itself.
We already have a bunch of projects created with React Native, Flutter, Ionic, Xamarin, AngularjS, ReactJS, HTML5 but the attractiveness of Flutter stands above all with its fast and straightforward communication with native applications. Flutter empowers applications to have the best of both platforms with great possibilities of customization, saving some significant time in the process. Know more on how we can help you reduce cost of app development with Flutter.
Vipin Jain is the Co-Founder and CEO at Konstant Infosolutions and is in charge of marketing, project management, administration and R&D at the company. With his marketing background, Vipin Jain has developed and honed the company’s vision, corporate structure & initiatives and its goals, and brought the company into the current era of success.