IoT is the new tech wave that has transformed our daily lives and is completely disrupting the existing web development landscape. Web developers are required to acquire a much deeper understanding of coding, encryption technologies, programming, and database management, and companies are required to shell out more money on training and employment of these developers. Soon, more professional and dedicated web development services are likely to come out in the market to cater to the evolving business needs. In days to come, hybrid development teams will be more successful, and security will be a major concern. Overall, web development is becoming a highly specialized field attracting a lot of research and development to deal with the IoT storm that is proliferating at a rapid pace in our daily lives.
IoT or Internet of things is the new gigantic tech-wave completely disrupting the existing set of technologies. Can you visualize smart traffic signals sensing the traffic in real time and managing it accordingly?
Well, IoT is all about connecting devices to the internet, which includes almost anything that you may think of, and making them all converse flawlessly.
The possibilities are countless, and the proliferation has already begun. Smart watches can be a good example to quote. These are connected seamlessly to the user’s iOS and Android devices. Similarly, Microsoft’s Cortana, Apple’s Siri and Echo’s Alexa are yet another popular IoT applications.
It certainly is from the user point of view but it’s a complex task for the web developers. It takes professional web development services to ensure that the complex multi-layered IoT architecture works seamlessly, and still there aren’t any guarantees.
1. Web developers are required to gain more comprehensive knowledge of coding, programming and database management. They need to adopt the latest tools and technologies leaving behind the traditional web development practices they have been following. This is leading to the growth of dedicated, professional, outsourced web development services.
2. More bonuses, higher employment benefits, training, and high salaries are now expected for the required skill-set, which implies that finding and retaining such talent is becoming much more difficult for individual organizations. Hence, professional web development service organizations that can bear the rising employment costs for these developers are getting into the market.
3. The turnaround time for IoT related projects is bound to be high due to the complex multi-layered IoT architecture. With highly skilled and competitive web and IoT solution development teams in place, things may move a bit fast but will still the IoT projects are time-consuming and need a hybrid approach to development.
4. Hybrid development teams are proving to be much more effective than the static exclusive teams. It may appear chaotic but creating a clean and easy to use interface with a robust code to back it up ensuring hyper-connectivity for numerous OS’s, networks and devices can work well in cooperation than isolation.
5. Moreover, dealing with compatibility issues for integrating varied controller devices in the existing systems for data generation is still a big challenge for the web development teams. In addition, continuous data collection in real-time needs data to be stored, managed and analyzed intelligently, securely and endlessly to be released to the application layer for proper utilization, challenging both web development and testing efforts.
6. This implies an increasing trend towards scalable, real-time crowdtesting and advanced lab testing to ensure that the data flow is seamless. This is helping developers analyze user feedback and usage patterns keeping them constantly dealing with bug fixes, feature additions, and UI overhauls. This reiterates the changing nature of web development services. Besides, threat assessment is still a major concern.
7. A minor security flaw can prove disastrous in the IoT age. Someone hacks a piece of information from one of your devices and now they can draw more from the connected devices. Hence, web developers are looking for creative ways to back up their device’s code with enough security features and to remain aware of the new encryption technologies to ensure data safety. Access management and identity identification are becoming essential features for IoT appliances.
Read also: How Much Does IoT App Development Cost?
Over time, the influx of new devices and new web development technologies are likely to give rise to disruptive new technologies. Gartner predicted that there will be 20.4 billion IoT devices by 2020, and according to Business Insider, the IoT market is on pace to grow over $3 trillion annually by 2026. The millennials and Gen Z are already using interconnected devices and are likely to demand more customized products and services in near future.
This implies that with IoT proliferating into our daily lives, web development is becoming a highly technical, in-demand specialized field with companies investing highly on in-depth research and development. For developers, it’s time to work on updating their current skillset to gain a deeper understanding of the evolving web development landscape and stay prepared for the disruption.
Vipin Jain is the Co-Founder and CEO at Konstant Infosolutions and is in charge of marketing, project management, administration and R&D at the company. With his marketing background, Vipin Jain has developed and honed the company’s vision, corporate structure & initiatives and its goals, and brought the company into the current era of success.